No one has favorited this theater yet
In Skewen, a village once in Glamorganshire, but now within the county borough of Neath Port Talbot, it is not known when the New Cinema first opened, although a photograph of the staff standing proudly outside in 1910 was posted on Facebook in October 2020 by June Burrows, who’s mother’s friend’s grandparents owned the cinema. Given the implications of the 1910 Cinematograph Act, it is very possible this shows the staff at, or close to, the cinema’s actual opening.
The 1914 Kinematograph Year Book recorded the New Cinema as being operated by the New Cinema Company.
By the 1923 edition, the resident manager was listed as H. H. Williams; by 1926 he had been replaced by M. Morgan. In both years, shows were continuous, with two changes of programme each week.
According to the Kinematograph Year Books, a sound system - in this case RCA - was not installed until 1934, but this might well be a case of late reporting.
Soon afterwards, the New Cinema burned down. It was replaced, at a different location, by the Ritz Cinema (see separate Cinema Treasures entry).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.