Mermaid Imperial Performing Arts Center
106 Gerrish Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Mermaid Imperial Performing Arts Center (Official)
Functions: Performing Arts
Previous Names: Imperial Theatre
The Imperial Theatre was built in 1914 by John H. Bustin along with a restaurant and upstairs dining room. Live performances and movies were offered. There were matinee and evening movie performances and serials run on Saturdays. The initial charge was 10 cents.
After the theatre was severely damaged by fire in 1931 it was refurbished with fire resistant materials.
In 1947 it was sold to B & L Cinemas (Bernstein and Lieberman) which operated more that 20 theatres in the Maritime Provinces.
In 1986 it was purchased by Dr. Garth and Lauren Vaughn who continued to offer both movies and live performances until their retirement in 1998.
The Production Showhouse was the next operator.
After remaining empty for several years it was purchased by the Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia in 2003. After extensive renovations and upgrading it was opened as the Mermaid Imperial Performing Arts Center (MIPAC).
Seating for 300 was provided on the main floor and 100 in the balcony.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.