W. Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Hydro Theatre, New Royal Theatre
E.M Wilson began this project as the New Princess Theatre in early-Spring of 1925 and would replace the 10-year old Princess Theatre likely at the end of its lease. The theatre would be located next to Wilson’s service station. The first film at the New Princess Theatre was already scheduled as Bebe Daniels in “The Heritage of the Desert”. The new Princess Barber Shop had already opened in the new building. And at the 11th hour, the venue opened on October 31, 1925 as the Wilson Theatre.
The new-build theatre was sold first to G.W. Carlisle and then to Walter Avera in February of 1929. Avera changed the name of the venue to the Hydro Theatre. On October 23, 1933 it relaunched under new operators as the New Royal Theatre. On November 17, 1934, W.J. Slemp took on the theatre and returned it to its original moniker of the Wilson Theatre.
Richard Buchanan then built a new 300-seat house costing $3,000. It was known as the Hydro Theatre opening in September of 1937 ending the Wilson/former Hydro Theatre/Royal Theatre. The Hydro Theatre had an amazing 30-year run as the town proved to be lively and supportive of the cinematic art. The Wilson Theatre building was razed in 1965 at the end of what was likely the second of two 20-year leasing cycles.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.