8463 State Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
“South Gate to get first film theater” headed a small article in the Los Angeles Times, August 23, 1925. The theatre, nearing completion, was located on State Street, had a seating capacity of 300 and would open about the first of September.
Moving Picture World reported September 12, 1925, that the theatre opened on September 4. It was understood the manager would come from Long Beach.
The location was first listed as “Movies” on Sanborn Maps 1927 at 8463 State Street.
The State Theatre may have been destroyed by the 1933 earthquake: Boxoffice April 24, 1937, notes Al Hanson was opening a new theatre in South Gate to replace his theatre destroyed by an earthquake a few years ago.
According to Motion Picture Daily, August 18, 1937, Al Hanson resigned his position as assistant to Charles P. Skouras to devote his time to his own theatres. Hanson owned 49 percent of two Compton theatres, and two destroyed in the 1933 earthquake. Motion Picture Daily gave their own opinion: “Whether Hanson will continue to make his headquarters at FWC here after September 1 is problematical”.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.