Elswick Picture Palace
818-830 Scotswood Road,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Bacon's (Sidney) Pictures Ltd.
Architects: Charles S. Errington
Previous Names: New Tyne Circus, Queen's Theatre
Located in the Benwell district to the west of Newcastle upon Tyne city centre. Originally opened as the New Tyne Circus the walls and roof were constructed in galvanised iron. It had a 36ft diameter circus ring. It became the Queen’s Theatre presenting variety shows, operated by Frederick Bolam & Sidney Bacon from 11th November 1900. The Queen’s Theatre was closed in 1906.
In March 1908 William Dobie of Sunderland applied to convert the building in a picture hall, but the council rejected the application. In November 1908 it reopened as the Newcastle Sporting Club presenting boxing matches and Bioscope shows, operated by a well known publican & boxing promoter James ‘Jimmy’ Lowes. Despite not being permitted, he opened the building as the Elswick Picture Palace on 14th December 1908 operated by the Waltrurdaw production company, based in London. Films of boxing matches were very popular and there were also beauty contests held on the stage. It was a short lived venture as it was closed on 16th January 1909.
It was demolished and the Crown Electric Theatre was built on the site opening on 24th December 1910.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.