150 N. York Street,
15 people favorited this theater
Classic Cinemas (Official)
Operated by: Classic Cinemas
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Spanish Colonial
News About This Theater
Built in 1924 and designed by architect Elmer F. Behrns, the York’s interior and exterior were updated in 1938 by architect Roy B. Blass in Art Moderne style and the seating capacity in the single screen was for 1,100. It was equipped with a 3 manual, 10 rank Barton theatre organ.
When Classic Cinemas bought the old York Theatre in 1982, they carved three theatres out of the original auditorium. Unlike much of the twinning and triplexing across the country, Classic Cinemas managed to save many of the historic elements of the original one screen theatre.
During the later renovation, the interior of the auditorium was returned to its original aesthetic. In 1993, the York added two more screens when Classic Cinemas bought the adjacent building and incorporated two new screens into the York. In 2004, the number of screens was increased by two more, and two years later, another two screens were added, bringing the total number of screens at the York to nine. A tenth screen was added on November 16, 2011.
Today, seven of the ten screens are stadium seated, and three auditoriums have digital projection and 3D. The York Theatre once again has a pipe organ, which is located on a lift in the original orchestra pit. It is a Barton, 2 Manual 7 Rank, which came from the Rialto Theatre, Champaign, IL. There are a number of artefacts which have been rescued from other historic theatres. THSA (Theatre Historical Society of America) was headquartered at the York Theatre for many years and had their office and museum located on the second floor. They moved to Pittsburgh in 2016.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.