Broadway and 7th Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Bikos Bros., Indiana-Illinois Theaters, Kalleres, Venus Amusement, Young Amusement Co.
In March 1913 Morris Wohl, Louis Friedman and Isadore Siegfried incorporated the Cosmopolitan Amusement Company. In April 1916 local showman V.U. Young, who with colleague C.J. Wolf owned several inter-related companies that in turn owned and/or operated theaters, broke ground for the 900-seat Cosmo Theater at the northwest corner of Broadway and 7th Avenue. The Cosmo Theater was to be two-stories high to permit construction of balconies later. Brothers Morris and David Wohl would manage the new $75,000 theater, which opened in October 1916. Nick and Peter Bikos purchased the building and the lease in May 1919. In July 1919 the Cosmo Theater became part of Venus Amusement Company, which combined the theater interests of the Bikos brothers and local exhibitor Andrew Obreshk. Venus operated the Cosmo Theater and seven other theaters. In September 1922 the Grand Theater and Cosmo Theater merged. The two theaters were redecorated and thereafter directed by Peter Kalleres, who had been running the Grand Theater. Kalleres was still managing the Cosmo Theater in January 1927 when the Cosmo Theater and five other Gary theaters joined the Indiana and Illinois Theaters booking circuit, formerly Earl Johnson Theaters. Never wired for sound, the Cosmo Theater closed in 1931.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.