RKO Proctor's Theatre
6 Gramatan Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Arland W. Johnson
Functions: Office Space
Previous Names: Proctor's Theatre, Park West Weekend Cinema
Proctor’s Theatre first opened on November 24th, 1913, with two-a-day vaudeville. Architect Arland Johnson also designed Proctor’s New Theatre in Troy, NY, which opened the following year. Proctor’s Mount Vernon was part of a five-story office building which also had stores on the street level.
By the 1920’s, Proctor’s Theatre had added movies to the programs. Vaudeville was dropped when all of the Proctor’s theatres became part of the RKO circuit at the start of the “talkies” era. For many years, RKO Proctor’s Mount Vernon was one of the chain’s four theatres in Westchester County, along with those in New Rochelle, Yonkers, and White Plains.
The RKO Proctor’s Theatre was closed in 1968. In late-1969 it reopened as Park West Weekend Cinema. It soon became a bingo hall which operated into at least the mid-1970’s. Around 1995 it was gutted and converted into offices.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.