1029 Hudson Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Mounds Theatre (Official), Mounds Theater -- A Photo History
Previously operated by: Finkelstein & Ruben
Functions: Community Arts Center, Live Performances, Live Theater, Movies
Styles: Art Deco
The Mounds Theatre was built in 1922 as a cinema and vaudeville house, operated by the Finkelstein & Rubens chain. It was closed in the mid-1960’s. For nearly 40 years the theater sat dark … until 2004!
When restoration started, they found candy wrappers and popcorn boxes from the last movie showing back in 1967! They also found movie posters from silent movies dating back to 1922. What a great time capsule. Hopefully St. Paul will come together to restore the original exterior of the building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 4 comments)
Really interested in the theatre and its program of operation. We are restoring a 250 seat 1936 art deco with limited stage size proscenium opening 24x14-8; stage width 43-6x16 deep, for both projection and performance.
Here is the updated link for the 1950s photo:
Wow! Boy did someone wreck this theater! What a great looking theater in the 50’s. Why would anyone change it to what it looks like now. What a shame.
Below history courtesy Saint Paul Revisited.
Built in 1922 as a venue for silent movies and live entertainment
Renovated around 1933
Renovated again in 1950 including extensive changes to the exterior
Closed in July 1967
Used as warehouse – 1967 to 2001
Most recent renovation started in December 2001
Theatre reopened in October 2003
Building: 8,600 square feet and partial basement.
Originally had a 700-person seating capacity including the balcony. After the renovation, the seating capacity is approximately 250 with no balcony seating.