619 Louisiana Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
The Strand Theatre (Official)
Built for the Saenger Brothers in 1925, the Strand Theater is an ornate palace which originally showed films from its opening on July 3, 1925 with 60 artists from The Fortune Gallo Comic Opera Company on stage and Bessie Love in “The Lost World” on the screen. Designed by New Orleans based architects Emile Weil & Charles G. Davis, interior decorations were by Paul Heerwagen of Arkansas. It was equipped with a Robert Morton 2 manual 13 ranks organ.
It was renovated by Paramount-Gulf States Theatre in April 1965 with most of the work being carried out at night so as not to interrupt the day to day running of the theater. The organ was restored at this time. In 1970, the Strand Theater was sold to ABC Interstate Theatres. However, by 1977, the Strand Theater was struggling and was sold to the Strand Theatre Corporation, a non-profit organization devoted to saving and restoring the theater.
The Strand Theatre Corporation raised the required funds to redevelop the Strand Theater as a top notch performing arts and stage show venue and it was renovated in 2015.
In 1977 the Strand Theater was place on the National Register of Historic Places.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.