4 Shipping Place,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: John F. Eyring
Styles: Streamline Moderne
News About This Theater
The Strand Theatre opened in 1938 seating 816. With a small town atmosphere and located on the main shopping strip of Dundalk. The front of the Strand Theatre was rather striking with arched windows above the marquee and a large pagoda topping the center of the building at roof level.
The marquee of the Strand Theatre was what really made the theatre stand out. It was a large triangle shape, with tons of neon. Each side of the marque had large neon letters spelling out “Strand”. There was also neon that lined the underside of the marquee lighting up the sidewalk and the entrance to the theatre.
The Strand Theatre continued to show movies until 1988 when it closed. The building is now a store and the marquee has been completely painted over in a bright fire engine red with the name of the store on each side. Standing across the street in the park looking at the building there is no doubt that the Strand Theatre once graced the corner.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.