2405 Martin Luther King, Jr. Aveue SE,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: John J. Zink
Styles: Streamline Moderne
This movie house, located in the Anacostia area of Washington, stood on Nichols Street (now Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue) near Talbert Street. It opened in 1948 and sat just over 500. The Carver was designed in Streamline Moderne style by local architect John J. Zink, best known for his Senator Theatre in Baltimore, and the Uptown Theatre in Washington.
Closed during the 60s, the Carver became the first home of the Anacasotia Neighborhood Museum in 1967. It remained housed there until the museum moved to its current location on Fort Place in 1987.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 2 comments)
Here and here are photos from January 2008 of the former Carver Theatre which will soon to be the home for the Good Samaritan Foundation.
thanks to Jack Coursey for this link,
with an etching of what may be the former Carver Theatre and soon to be Good Samaritan Foundation.