Weinberg Center for the Arts
20 W. Patrick Street,
8 people favorited this theater
Weinberg Center for the Arts (Official)
Architects: John J. Zink
Styles: Renaissance Revival
Previous Names: Tivoli Theatre
Opened on December 23, 1926, the 1,500-seat Tivoli Theatre was the largest of the three downtown Frederick movie houses. Constructed at a cost of over $300,000, the Tivoli featured lavish decoration, including marble, mosaics, velvet chairs, and crystal chandeliers. The theater also has a Mighty Wurlitzer organ, the only one in Maryland still completely intact and original. The architect for the Tivoli Theatre was John J. Zink, a native of Baltimore. By 1941 the Tivoli Theatre was operated by Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp.
Though the Tivoli Theatre survived the competition from televison in the 1950’s, unlike the other downtown movie theaters, it began to steadily decline, both in attendance and its appearance. After a disastrous flood in 1976 from a nearby river, which caused substantial damage to the Tivoli Theatre, it was decided to restore the grand old theater to its original glory.
Over a year and a half later, in 1978, the former Tivoli Theatre reopened as the Weinberg Center for the Arts, named for the family that donated the building to the city of Frederick, and since then, has functioned as the area’s leading venue for performing arts, including Broadway shows, concerts, children’s theatre, and classic film screenings.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.