Sioux City Orpheum
520 Pierce Street,
4 people favorited this theater
Architects: George W. Leslie Rapp
Firms: Rapp & Rapp
Previous Names: Orpheum Theatre
News About This Theater
- Mar 25, 2012 — A passion for theater at the Orpheum
- Nov 20, 2009 — Original murals restored, reinstalled at Sioux City's Orpheum
- Feb 19, 2004 — Sioux City Riviera Twin to Reopen
The second Orpheum Theatre was located on Nebraska Street, built around 1919, and designed by architect George Leslie Rapp with 1,456 seats. The new Sioux City Orpheum Theatre was constructed in 1927 and opened on December 19, 1927 as part of the Orpheum Circuit. It was designed by architectural firm Rapp & Rapp.
This opulent vaudeville and moving picture house boasted a large 2,650-seat, three-story auditorium complete with Wurlitzer pipe organ, half circle boxes, hand carved detailing, gilded ornamentation, several crystal chandeliers, and a hand painted ceiling.
Throughout the years, the Orpheum Theatre has been used for symphony performances, ballet, special attractions, and hosted entertainers such as Fred Astaire, Tallulah Bankhead, and Katherine Hepburn.
Beginning in 1999, the Orpheum Theatre was spectacularly restored to its original appearance, reopening in fall of 2001 after having been closed for nearly a decade.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.