5951 Martin Luther King Drive,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Arthur Enterprises Inc.
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Mikado Theatre
The Mikado Theatre was located on the north side of Easton Avenue (today renamed Dr. Martin Luther King Drive), just east of Hodiamont Avenue in the Wellston business district in the west end of the city.
The O.T. Crawford chain built the Mikado Theatre in 1911, the architect was F.A. Duggan. The original theatre had an Oriental Japanese design and seated 1,608, including a balcony.
The building was completely redesigned in 1939 in a modern Art Deco style. Fire regulations, wider seats an aisles reduced the seating capacity to 1,103. The newly modernized Mikado Theatre added a permanent marquee projecting over the entrance.
In December 1941, World War II began for the USA. In many cities a theatre named ‘Mikado’ (a dated term for Emperor of Japan) would be renamed. The Mikado Theatre was renamed Victory Theatre in February 1942. The Victory Theatre was at one time part of the St. Louis Amusement Company. It was closed in February 1972 and some time later it was used as a church.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.