817 South Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Firms: Hodgens & Hill
The Rexy Theatre opened on November 9, 1928 with Clara Bow in “The Fleet’s In” plus 4 acts of vaudeville on its stage. It was located on South Street between S. 8th Street and S. Darien Street. This 2,063-seat theatre was designed in an Atmospheric/Neo-Georgian style by the firm of Hodgens & Hill for the Stanley Theatres chain. There were 1,711-seats in the orchestra and 352-seats in the balcony. It was equipped with a United States Pipe Organ, manufactured in Crum Lynne, PA.The Rexy Theatre was closed in 1933. In 1936 it reopened as a live theatre, but this was not a success. It was reopened in 1938, operated by Warner Bros. Circuit Management but was listed as (Closed), the same in 1943. The Rexy Theatre briefly reopened in 1944, but closed on November 12, 1944.
The building remained vacant until it was demolished in August 1958. Apartments stand on the site today.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.