4650 Frankford Avenue,
5 people favorited this theater
Firms: Hoffman-Henon Co.
Built on the site of the Empire Theatre (aka Northwood Theatre). The Circle Theatre opened April 30, 1929 with Thomas Meighan in “The Argyle Case”. It was designed by the firm of Hoffman-Henon Co. The Circle Theatre was Philadelphia’s only Atmospheric style movie theatre. It was equipped with a Kimball 3 manual 15 ranks organ. The console was on a lift in the orchestra pit. It had a fully equipped stage and four floors of dressing rooms. Initially it presented movies only, but from February 6, 1932 stage shows were added to the program. From the 1940’s it was back to movies only. In the early-1950’s the organ was removed from the building.
The Circle Theatre closed on December 6, 1953 with Gary Cooper in “Blowing Wild” & John Derek in “Sea of Lost Ships”. The lobby and the area of the orchestra level under the balcony have been converted into retail use. The remainder of the auditorium décor survives, but is not open to the public.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.