838 S. Broadway,
4 people favorited this theater
Firms: Train & Williams
Previous Names: Woodley Theatre, Sennett Theatre, Victory Theater
The Woodley Theatre was a movie house in downtown L.A.’s Broadway theatre district. Built for E.W. Woodley, it opened September 27, 1913 with the Danish movie “Dr. Nicholson and the Blue Diamond” starring Holger Reenberg & “Never Again” starring Phillips Smalley & Lois Webber who also appeared ‘in person’ on the stage. It was equipped with a ‘mamouth pipe organ’ which was opened by organist C. Percival Garratt. It was designed by the architectural firm Train & Williams. It was taken over by Mack Sennett and reopened as the Sennett Theatre on November 18, 1917. On September 18, 1918 it was renamed Victory Theater.
It was closed in September 1920 to enable an expansion and extensive remodeling (by architect H.O. Davis and the Frank Meline Company) in a Spanish style. All seating was on a single floor. It was reopened as the Mission Theatre on December 2, 1920 as a motion picture theatre. The opening movie was Douglas Fairbanks in “The Mark of Zorro”. Famed organist Jessie Crawford play the newly installed organ. It did not remain for long, however, as it closed January 18, 1925 and was demolished.
The fourth and current Los Angeles home of the Orpheum Theater Circuit was built on its site, which opened February 15, 1926.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.