Theatre Le Mery
7 Place de Clichy,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Le Clichy Cine, Le Mery Cine
Built in 1935 in the basement of a huge Art Deco apartment building which included a big brasserie and a night club located at the first floor. This opened on 24th October 1936 as Le Clichy Cine and had seating for 345 on a single floor. It was closed in 1963.
In 1965 it was given the name Le Mery Cine after the name of a new owners wife. A huge name sign and poster sign are over the entrance with the cash box at street level. A deep stair-case leads down to the square auditorium which was renovated to seat 250 in the 1960’s becoming a first run movie theatre.
With the multiplexing of other cinemas in the neighbourhood the programme policy turned to porno movies in 1979 and Le Mery became a very dirty place. It declined as other adult theatres in Paris did in the 1980’s and closed in 1996, remaining dark for a very long time.
A strange movie about the everyday life of people working and going in a porno theatre by Jacques Noleau (ex assistant and co writer of Andre Techine) was entirely shot in the closed-down theatre in 2001. Since 2003 the Mery re-opened as a live theatre but it closed in 2010. In 2017 plans were proposed for it to become a comedy club, but these never materialised. It is now in retail use as a sports clothing store named Episod.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.