Comments from RoyRossi

Showing 9 comments

RoyRossi
RoyRossi commented about Marilyn Rodman Performing Arts Center on Nov 27, 2018 at 9:55 pm

Now named “Marilyn Rodman Performing Arts Center”.

RoyRossi
RoyRossi commented about Island Cinemas 10 on Dec 11, 2016 at 11:15 pm

You can see the old area all the way to the left (in blue).

RoyRossi
RoyRossi commented about Island Cinemas 10 on Dec 11, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Actually, it was a restructure of another part of the building complex. The Holiday Cinema was one one spot of the building complex and abandoned. The New Island 10 Cinemas was in another spot of the the building and transformed into the new cinemas. The new was getting built while the old was still operating.

RoyRossi
RoyRossi commented about Park Theatre on Jul 10, 2016 at 9:20 pm

My Rocky Horror records show the closing date before renovations as Feb, 2001 rather than the 2002 posted above. We were doing the show there for a year. One night, in Feb, 2001, we were told it was suddenly closing and we had to evacuate our props right after the show.

RoyRossi
RoyRossi commented about Fairlawn Theatre on Jul 26, 2015 at 11:19 pm

There is a comment in here (written in 2004) that the theater closed in 1982. However, we performed the Rocky Horror Picture Show there from December 9, 1983 thru February 4, 1984. An 8 week run. Rough audience some nights, but that was Rocky back then.

I remember both side sections were torn out by then. There was only a center section remaining. I think some rows from the front may have been torn out also. It gave us a lot of space to perform.

The owner was George Mittsmenn. Very nice guy to us.

RoyRossi
RoyRossi commented about East Bridgewater Cinema 5 on Sep 12, 2013 at 2:32 pm

It is indeed 5 cinemas now. While under Boston Culinary Group, the 6th (and smallest) cinema was sold to the adjacent CVS for storage.

RoyRossi
RoyRossi commented about Cinerama Theatre on Dec 26, 2011 at 5:33 pm

To Gerald – The last day was indeed March 19, 1983. We did the Rocky Horror Picture show there, ending a 4+ year run. It was at midnight, so technically I guess it was March 20.

I kept track of all the casting so I had the date.

RoyRossi
RoyRossi commented about Cinerama Theatre on Apr 4, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Nick, I have contacted you directly.

RoyRossi
RoyRossi commented about Cinerama Theatre on Jan 7, 2008 at 10:29 pm

The Cinerama is the birthplace of the audience participation movie the Rocky Horror Picture Show in Rhode Island. It ran there from 1978 -1983.

I actually performed the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Cinerama on the last night of the show in March of 1983. It may well have been the last movie played there ever. It was PACKED! The manager there was Gerry Corbett, whom went at least as far back as 1980 (when I first saw the movie there). The projectionist was named Elliot. I remember the name John O'Sullivan being what we thought of as the ‘District Manager’.

Once the movie ended there, we moved on to the Avon Cinema a few months later and many theatres later the show continues on to this day in Rhode Island.

We never heard again of Gerry Corbett. Last I heard of Elliot he was involved in the Rustic Drive In in the 90’s. Did anyone ever hear where Gerry went after the Cinerama?