Grand Opera House
13114 S. Western Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Balaban & Katz Corp.
Previous Names: Grand Theatre
The Grand Opera House in Blue Island, which was built during the 1890’s, stands at Western Avenue near Grove Street. After a fire in 1924 caused extensive damage, the Grand Opera House was rebuilt and became a movie house, though by then, the Lyric Theater, which opened not far away on Western Avenue in 1917, had become the city’s main movie house. Eventually the Grand Opera House began to show B-grade fare, while the Lyric Theatre was a first-run house.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 3 comments)
Here is a September 1925 ad from the Alton Evening Telegraph:
The address listed above must be incorrect. 13115 is the Cyprus Long Bar and is across the street. The Opera House should be an even number.
Built in 1908 according to the city of Blue Island. The original burned down in 1896. Early 1900s construction photo added to gallery.