207 W. Colorado Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Nugget Theatre (Official)
Architects: James Murdoch
Functions: Movies, Movies (Film Festivals)
Styles: Romanesque Revival
The Nugget Theatre opened in 1935 when the 1895 L.L. Nunn building was renovated. It has operated as a movie theatre ever since (apart from a closure in June 1959 until October 1963). Modern 35mm equipment was installed by the Telluride Film Festival which has used it as one of their now eight venues for their annual Labor Day Weekend event. It presently shows commercial and independent films nightly.
In 2000, the Nugget building was purchased by Bill and Katrine Formby, of Austin, TX, with plans to renovate the entire building and providing space for two screens. This renovation is on-going, with stone-work stabilization and the façade completed in 2004. Total interior renovation and the return of a tower to the SE corner of the building are expected to start in the next two years.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 2 comments)
Additional photos are here:
Boxoffice, May 11, 1959: “A. B. Hilliard has taken over the management of the Nuggett Theatre at Telluride from Reuben Stroh who has moved to California. Hilliard will operate the Nuggett along with the Chipeta Theatre at Ouray”
Motion Picture Daily, June 10, 1959: “OURAY, Colo., June 9. – A. B. Hilliard, operator of the Chipeta Theatre here and the Nugget Theatre in Telluride, died of a heart attack while visiting in Denver".
Boxoffice, Sept. 30, 1963: “Rena Hedlund is reopening the Nuggett Theatre at Telluride, closed for several years”