Rex Art Cinema
7929 NE 2nd Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Previous Names: Rosetta Theatre, New Rosetta Theatre, 2nd Avenue Art Theatre, New King Cinema, King Art Cinema
Opened as the 1,084-seat Rosetta Theatre on February 16, 1926 with Tom Mix in “The Yankee Senor”. It was designed in a Spanish Revival style. It was operated by Wometco Enterprises. It was located on NE 2nd Avenue just south of 79th Street, in the area known as Little River. In 1946 it was taken over by Paramount Pictures Inc. and operated through their subsidiary S.A. Lynch. It was remodeled in a Streamline Moderne style to the plans of architects Roy A. Benjamin & Charles P. Neider.
In the latter days of its existence, it operated as an adult movie house named 2nd Avenue Arts Theatre from February 17, 1971 and in early-1973 it became the King Art Cinema. From April 19, 1974 it became the Rex Art Cinema. It was closed around 1977 when its licence was revoked. The overall looks of the marquee and theatre’s main entrance suggested it was a classic movie house at one time.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.