125 Rue Principale,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Palace Theatre (Official)
Previous Names: Varieties, Elite Cinema, Palace Cinema
The Varieties was opened as as cinema in 1910. In 1920 it was renamed Elite Cinema. It was equipped for ‘talkies’ in 1929. It had a complete reconstruction in 1934 and was renamed Palace Cinema. Emmanuel Briffa changed the auditorium into a 684-seat Spanish garden open to the sky. This would have been the last Atmospheric style theatre built in Canada. Unfortunately the building was lost in a fire in 1946.
The Palace Cinema was rebuilt in 1948 with 1,500 seats. It also contained a restaurant and had air conditioning. It closed as a cinema in the early-1980’s. In 1985 it was taken over by the city, and in 1992 a non-profit group was formed to operate the theatre, which re-opened as the Palace Theatre on 12th September 1992. Seating is now provided for 952 in the main room and a second cabaret room seats 663
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.