79 High Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Picture House - Uckfield (Official)
Architects: Walter Long
Functions: Movies (First Run), Movies (Foreign), Movies (Independent)
Styles: Tudor Revival
Previous Names: Garrison Theatre
The Picture House was built in 1916, and was designed with a half-timbered Tudor style exterior by architect Walter Long. Initially it was used as a Garrison Theatre for local troops. It had a seating capacity of 496, all on one level, with a stadium plan raised/stepped section at the rear, instead of an overhanging balcony. It was re-named Picture House and became a cinema from August 1920. In 1927 it was equipped with a Mihaly sound system.
Always independently operated, it was twinned in 1993. The auditorium was split in half, by building a wall across the building. A new projection box was built on the stage to serve the former front stalls area and the rear stalls still used the original projection box. In February 2000 a third screen was added, by demolishing the stage end and extending the building for a new screen and projection box.
Seating capacities in the screens are now: 140, 100 and 120.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 3 comments)
View of the Picture House taken in 1984 here:–
The Picture House, photographed in July 2007:
Details and photos of the 2014 Screen 1 Refurbishment.
A few hidden features from the past are revealed.
And on this page, a photo of the refurbished Screen 1. Looks very nice.