6540 Woodward Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Trans-Lux Movies Corp.
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Trans-Lux Theatre
Opened in 1932 as the Trans-Lux Theatre, this branch of the popular newsreel circuit seated a little over 340. It was designed by Thomas W. Lamb – his only work in the city of Detroit.
The Trans-Lux Theatre had a feature which was advertised as "daylight projection" (actually rear projection), so that theatre-goers were able to move around the smallish auditorium without it being overly darkened.
In 1934, the "daylight projection" system was taken out in favor of a standard projection booth. Seating was also increased to 700 and it was renamed the Center Theatre.
Growing interest in television spelled the end of the Center Theatre, and it was shuttered some time in the 1960’s.
The former theatre was later converted for retail use, and today houses a thrift shop.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.