12 3rd Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Fabian Theaters, Proctor's, Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp.
Previous Names: Griswold Opera House, New Griswold Theater
This location on 3rd Street has a long history. The Adelphi Theater was built in 1855 but burned down in 1862. A year later, Griswold Hall was built, but this burned down in April 1871. The Griswold Opera House was then built and opened on October 30, 1871.
On August 1, 1905 F.F. Proctor bought the opera house, remodeled it to seat 1,500 and called it the Griswold Theater. It was closed around 1933 and stood unused until it was remodeled and reopened by Warner Bros. on February 18, 1943. It was badly damaged by a fire on June 16, 1944. It was renovated and reopened on January 17, 1945. Local newspaper advertisements in the 1940’s called it the New Griswold Theater. The Griswold Theater was closed at the end of 1950 and was demolished in early-1951 to build a Woolworth’s store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 3 comments)
The last Griswold Theater burned down in the 50’s, and was demolished. A Woolworth Store replaced it, which in turn was demolished for the Uncle Sam Atrium Mall.
This is the front page of the Troy Record on June 17, 1944, reporting a blaze at the Griswold. Fire seemed to be a problem with this place.
Warner’s had an interest in the Griswold Theatre, according to this item from Motion Picture Herald of March 6, 1943: