619 S. Polk Street,
619 S. Polk Street,Amarillo, TX 79101
No one has favorited this theater yet
Showing 2 comments
The Texas Theatre opened January 17, 1933 on a 15-year lease showing “Red Dust” as its opening feature. The theater was next door to the former Olympic Theater, the first Amarillo theater to show films though burning down in 1919. The Texas Theater began as a 500-seat theater in a 30' by 140' space. Ben Golding started the theater. Underwood and Ezell Circuit took on the operation of the Texas and the Victory in 1945. It closed January 5, 1948 with “The Trouble with Women” as the theater reached the end of its lease. The building was repurposed for retail purposes.
The Texas Theater was actually located to the right of the location in the photo, next door to Colberts Department Store. After the theater closed in the 50s the building housed the Downtown Skaggs Drugstore. Skaggs closed January 17, 1970 and the building remained empty. The Colberts building burned September 23, 1977 and a short time later the remains of the department store and the old theater were demolished and replaced with just another flat, ugly parking lot on the once glittering Polk St.