713 Monmouth Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Mid-States Theaters Inc.
Styles: Streamline Moderne
When it opened in 1915, the 2,500 seat Newport Hippodrome was the largest theatre in the Northern Kentucky area. Owned by Andrew Nordmeyer and H.N. Berning, (who also owned the Covington Hippodrome,) the ‘Hipp’ was built at the cost of $50,000. Plagued by fires throughout its existence, the theater burned to the ground on April 13, 1934. It was rebuilt and re-opened in October of 1934. By 1950 it was operated by Mid-States Theaters Inc.
The ‘Hipp’ closed for good in 1962-63 after a showing of "The Three Stooges In Orbit". The building was converted to a car wash in the 1970’s, (the Hippo Car Wash, of course,) and may have been a strip club in the 1980’s before finally being torn down and used as a parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 3 comments)
Part of the marquee can be seen in the left center of this view.
From Movie House to Car Wash to Strip Joint,interesting history.
The Hipp Theatre closed in January of 1961. It was offered for sale with the building finally razed in 1966. It’s conceivable that parts of the structure might have been used for the Hippo Car Wash