51-53 Argyle Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Associated British Cinemas Ltd.
Architects: William Riddell Glen
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Savoy Cinema
The Savoy Cinema, designed by architect W. R. Glen for Associated British Cinemas(ABC) stood on the site of the Theatre Royal (1864 to 1921) which was adapted into the Scala Cinema (1921 to 1937).
The new cinema was far larger than its predecessor but retained a stage, which in the event was hardly ever used. It opened 10th October 1938 with “Bluebeards Eighth Wife”. It was not supplied with an organ.
Re-named ABC in the early-1960’s, closure came in March 1982, the circle having been closed for many years before that. It was transformed into a snooker hall, later the balcony was sub-divided and operated as Rocky’s Gym. In 2016 Riley’s Snooker Hall and Rocky’s Gym had closed and the building was offered ‘For Sale’. By 2020 it had been demolished and the site used as a car park.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.