93 Lord Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Blackpool Tower Co. Ltd.
Architects: Albert Winstanley
Previous Names: Empire Theatre & Hippodrome, Art Pictures
Located on West Street (later renamed Lord Street) in Fleetwood, 12 miles north of Blackpool. The Empire Theatre & Hippodrome was opened in mid-August 1909. It was designed by architect Albert Winstanley, and boasted to be ‘the first theatre to have a white marble facade’. From around 1913, it was listed as operating as a cinema. In early-1915, it was closed for reconstruction, when the seating capacity in the gallery was enlarged, and the total seating capacity increased to 900. It re-opened in June 1915 as the Art Pictures.
In 1923, the building was demolished to build a new Art Pictures, again designed by Albert Winstanley. The new cinema now had a single circle seating 340, with seating in the stalls for 668 and two boxes on each side of the 30 feet wide proscenium. There was also a cafe for the convenience of patrons. By 1937, it was operated by the Blackpool Tower Co. Ltd. By 1944, they had re-named it Art Cinema, and it was closed in the late-1950’s. It was demolished in 1960 and in 2014 an Iceland supermarket operates on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.