231 N. Washington Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Butterfield Theaters
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Buck's Opera House, Baird's Opera House
News About This Theater
- Mar 2, 2010 — Happy 45th, "The Sound Of Music"
Opened as Buck’s Opera House in May 1873 it was designed by architect E.E. Myers. It was renamed Baid’s Opera House in 1890. It became the Gladmer Theatre in 1910 when it was remodeled to the plans of architect Fuller Caflin. It was closed in May 1939 with Dorothy Lamour in “St. Louis Blues” and was gutted.
The ‘new’ Gladmer Theatre was designed by architect Elmer Keeler out of the Howard C. Crane firm. It was opened October 12, 1939 with Madeleine Carroll in “Cafe Society”. Operated by the Butterfield Theaters chain, it was closed March 25, 1979 with John Houston in “The Bermuda Triangle”. The building was put up for sale, but there were no takers until 1984 when it was sold and demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.