1030 N. Park Avenue,
1030 N. Park Avenue,Tucson, AZ 85719
1 person favorited this theater
Showing 1 comment
In the former Lambert’s Restaurant, two businessmen led by Tuscon Biltmore Hotel owner Paul Robinson decided that an art house was needed near the University of Arizona campus. There would be no traditional concessions as the snack bar was high end. The 300 seat (296 to be precise) luxury cinema was filled its first night when “The Lavender Hill Mob” launched the theater January 22, 1952.
In 1960, the theater closed for six weeks going even more high end and ending what it termed a “grind” presentation where shows were back to back to back to a single, well-presented show per night. That policy lasted until the theater was failing and taken over June 19, 1963 by The Art Theatre Guild Inc. Circuit. They also took over The Movie at 1039 E. 6th St. transforming it to an adult cinema. The circuit would also subtly change the name of the Park to the Park Art Theatre also showing adults only fare. The theatre goes out of business May 31, 1964 with “Heavenly Bodies” and “Wild Gals of the Wicked West” as their last shows. The University of Arizona gets the theatre calling it the Drama Annex for a brief period and switching to the theater’s original name of Park Theatre.