10 Gold Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: County Electric Pavilion
Little is known about this early venture into film exhibition. Gold Street leads into the Town Centre and has, until fairly recently, always been an important commercial thoroughfare. The County Electric Pavilion was a shop conversion, plus premises to the rear, which opened in April 1910. By 1919 the manager was Harold Arnold. An early advertisement apparently offered free tea and biscuits to all patrons, except those in the 3d seats! In 1922, the proprietors were G. V. Hulton and E. C. Shapeero, with W. S. Farndon as manager and the venue had shortened its name to Electric Pavilion. Prices ranged from 5d to 1s 3d, with two changes of film weekly.
Shortly after this, the Electric Pavilion closed, the frontage reverted to shop use whilst the premises to the rear were demolished. By 2023 the front part of the former cinema is in use as an Indian restaurant named Craft and Skewers. The facade is a Grade II Listed building.
(Gold Street is one-way, and was evidently being re-surfaced when the Google Map vehicle was visiting.)
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
Further research suggests some remnants of the shop remain. No 10 Gold St was listed in 1952 as an early 19th Century superstructure in stone over a modern shop. The address is now 8-10 Gold St, so further alterations since 1952 have obscured whatever remains of this cinema. A 1972 piece in the Chronicle and Echo refers to a back entrance in College Street, about which only the manager knew. This part was demolished many years ago.