15 Camp Hill Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Miles Jervis Cinemas
Firms: Bradley & Clarke
Styles: Art Deco
Located in the west Nuneaton district of Chapel End on Camp Hill Road near the corner of Bucks Hill. The Grand Cinema was opened in 1929. Seating was provided for 375. Around 1937 it was taken over by Sheridan Film Services Ltd. and they commissioned architectural firm Bradley & Clark to redesign the building in an Art Deco style. The auditorium was extended at the screen end by another 50 feet, and included a car park underneath the extension. The Grand Cinema continued to operate while the building work was being carried out.
The Grand Cinema re-opened on 11th July 1938 with Jeanette MacDonald in “The Firefly”. It had a 24 feet wide proscenium and a Holphane lighting system had been installed in the auditorium, which now seated 500. An RCA sound system had been fitted. The façade was covered in Vitrolite tiles.
In late-1959, the Grand Cinema was taken over by the Miles Jervis Cinemas chain of West Bromwich. The last advertised film at the Grand Cinema was for Alan Ladd in “Shane” on 11th August 1961. It was converted into a bingo club, which was refurbished in 2010. Last operated as the Majestic Bingo Club it was closed in November 2021 and the building is ‘For Sale’ with a covenant that it cannot be used for bingo ever again.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 2 comments)
Please Note* A Book “The Auditorium” is available and covers the Grand Chapel end and also the other cinemas of North Warwickshire including Atherstone, Nuneaton, Arley Bedworth Coleshill, Attleborough and Stockingford.
Lovely survivor which has now been on bingo for longer than it showed films. Photos from June 2018.