3646 W. Warren Avenue,
3646 W. Warren Avenue,Detroit, MI 48208
No one has favorited this theater yet
Showing 2 comments
This link has a circa 1920 photo of the Hippodrome on Woodward Avenue mentioned above. https://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhl/x-bl004008/bl004008?fbclid=IwAR2xd9fuiJuQ6foYv9TG7RS95zHrDVFSOFW_Cu3UVKvZlPu37b5ybcl9SlA
This theatre was home to the long-running Rogers Theatre that served African American audiences from 1930 until the end of 1959. It was also home to the second silent-era Detroit Hippodrome from 1913 into the 1920s.
The original Hippodrome project on Woodward was a quick failure lasting from July of 1912 and folding within eight months. Though one can’t be sure, these theatre operators very likely bought the failed Hippodrome fixtures at the Woodward location and repurposed them in this silent-era Hippodrome whose address was 1128 Warren West until the Detroit address updating took place (location remaining the same with its new 3646 West Warren address). The theater launched in 1913 and after ten years it likely got a new owner and a new policy switching to an African American theater.
The theatre is put up for sale in 1929 likely because the operator doesn’t want to covert to sound. Under new operators (Gus Greening managing), the theater gets a facelift, is fitted for sound and rebranded as the Rogers Theatre. The Rogers goes for the next thirty years. Two ceiling collapses injure many with the collapses caused by melting snow.
Future Motown record producer Harry Balk was an operator until 1954 selling out to Moe Teiter, the final manager of the theater. The Rogers likely closes at the end of a 30-year leasing agreement with ads ceasing around Thanksgiving of 1959 likely closing November 22, 1959 with “The Five Pennies” and “Bend of the River”.