Grand Opera House
216-220 W. Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Robert Platt Daggett
Firms: R.P. Daggett & Co.
Previous Names: Brown's Opera House
No theaters found within 30 miles
This theater occupied the second and third floors of a large three-story brick building with a mansard roof. It was built in 1886, opening on August 16, 1886 as Brown’s Opera House. By 1892, it had been renamed Grand Opera House.
The theater space had a large scalloped front stage at the rear. The balcony was narrow, with squared off corners, and ran well down the walls toward the stage. By 1902, a staircase had been added to the west side, giving access to the theater, although a central entry still seems to be in use. The ground floor was used as a furniture store. The theater is listed in the 1905 Cahn guide, but no seating capacity is given.
By at least 1914-15, it was showing movies. It was closed in 1918, and the furniture store has expanded to all three floors. The building was still standing in October 1979. Long ago demolished, the site is a parking lot and bank drive-through.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.