Cinema Le Regent
113 Avenue Charles-de-Gaulle,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Gaumont France, Pathe
Architects: Adrienne Gorska, Pierre de Montaut
Firms: Montaut & Gorska
Styles: Streamline Moderne
The publication Salles-Cinema, reports the 1,500-seat Cinema Le Regent opened October 11, 1938, in the converted Post Office Hotel on the then named Avenue de Neuilly. The owners Mr. and Mrs. Roux, operators of three other cinema retained architects Pierre de Montaut and Adrienne Gorska, who had already designed other cinemas in France. As for the location of Neuilly-sur-Seine, it has been described as a northwest suburb of Paris.
The first movies were Ernst Lubitsch’s “The Eighth Woman of Bluebeard” with Claudette Colbert and Gary Cooper and André Berthomieu’s “Les Nouveaux Riches” with Raimu and Michel Simon.
The Cinema Le Regent remained open during the World War II occupation of Paris playing French but no American films until after the war ended in 1945. Two of the first American films after the war was the animated “Gulliver’s Travels” on October 31, 1945, and a Busby Berkeley Mickey Rooney-Judy Garland musical on November 28.
Operating as a neighbourhood house and playing films after the major cinemas it was taken over by Pathe Gaumont Theatres in 1970 and briefly played first-run films. During its waning days it was showing American films such as “Gone with the Wind” in July 1971 and “Le Mans” in October 1971.
The cinema closed March 28, 1972.
Thanks to Thierry Béné for his article in Salles-Cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.