No one has favorited this theater yet
The exhibition of motion pictures in Hebron dated back to traveling shows featuring Vitascope films shown in the late-19th Century. The Crystal Theater opened in 1907 in downtown Hebron but began with live plays. Operator Judd Marsh began showing motion pictures in 1908 and drawing steady crowds. The theatre moved to the existing Hill Building on 4th Street between Olive Street and Lincoln Street, becoming the Elite Theatre which specialized in motion pictures. The building had previously housed a pool hall.
Earl Gray and Clarence Boyes ran the operation with Boyes taking over the operation in 1915 and adding an Airdome to operate in the hot summer months. The Airdome and the Elite Theatre ran to 1917. The Elite Theatre was sold to E. M. Fetterman of Lincoln, Nebraska. He decided to move the operation to the Hebron Opera House beginning on April 12, 1918. The Opera House did not have a full-time projection booth (operating loosely in the balcony which was a dangerous practice). But, an owner later in 1921, it would become the Majestic Theatre with a fireproof booth.
As for the Hill Building that housed the former Elite Theatre, it would become a local Chevrolet car dealership followed by a second-hand shop. The building appears to have been destroyed on May 9, 1953 by a tornado that also claimed the Majestic Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.