Liberty Theatre

120 W. Duke Street,
Hugo, OK 74743

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Griffith Amusement Company

Previous Names: Dixie Theatre

Nearby Theaters

This was the first of two Dixie Theatre’s to operate in Hugo. It was opened in 1909 by Mr. & Mrs. Henry Fickensher. They sold the theatre in 1910, although it was still operating in 1914. It was renamed liberty Theatre on November 11, 1917. It was gutted by fire in 1928. The remains of the building were then used as a bus station.

A 2nd Dixie Theatre was opened in December 1946 and has its own page on Cinema Treasures.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 1 comments)

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on January 18, 2022 at 4:54 pm

The Dixie Theatre opened in the building at 120-122 Duke Street. It operated under that name from 1909 to November of 1917. Under new sole operator, A.L. Blunt it became the Liberty Theatre on November 11, 1917 with a benefit screening for the local YMCA showing a patriotic film. (The Liberty was a commonly-used World War I moniker for theaters.) But the biggest splash came just weeks later when the Liberty showed “Birth of a Nation” on December 2-3, 1917 at road show prices.

Blunt then sold the Liberty / former Dixie to L.R. Stout in April of 1921 for $16,000. The Liberty fell under the umbrella of O. Gill and Griffith Amusement Circuit next also in the 1920s. Late in 1927, it was reported that new equipment was added to the Liberty. It was gutted by fire in January of 1928. Interestingly, Gill would be arrested for setting fire to the Erie Theatre five years later. The remaining Liberty Theatre structure would then be incorporated into a bus terminal for two different bus lines, the latter of which was the Northeast Texas Motor Lines Inc.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.