117 N. Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Functions: Event Center
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Teatro Texas
Speck Lunsford of the Star Theatre decided 1941 was time for a second downtown movie house in Hereford. He created a Streamline Moderne style venue that launched August 20, 1941 with Judy Canova in “Puddin' Head”, and named the Texas Theatre. The two major functions of the Texas Theatre were to serve as the only movie house in 1941 while the Star Theatre received a major Streamline Moderne style makeover and, once the Star Theatre reopened, to play Westerns and second-run, discount double features. The Texas Theatre did just that for some 15 years before regular film bills were curtailed.
In 1945, the Star Theatre and the Texas Theatre were sold to William F. Hardwick of Dallas under the Frontier Theatre Circuit. The addition of the Tower Drive-In in 1950 and the impact of television on movie-going were the primary reasons that the Texas Theatre became a sporadic movie and local event house. But Hardwick had a novel idea reopening the Texas Theatre with regular Spanish language films beginning on March 8, 1968 sometimes as Teatro Texas.
The Tower Theatre and Star Theatre properties were sold to Commonwealth Theatres on March 12, 1970 and the lease of the Texas Theatre was assigned to Commonwealth Theatres at that time.
All three venues would close and be demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.