Good Pine Theatre
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Good Pine Lumber Company began business in 1906 in LaSalle Parish’s Good Pine - an unincorporated town associated with nearby Jena, Louisiana. The sawmill had cottages for workers and, to add recreational options, opened the Good Pine Theatre in 1925. The multipurpose recreation center was a silent and then talking picture venue that also held live music and community events. Likely the biggest live event was when the “King of Jazz” Paul Whiteman and his band appeared on the Good Pine stage on November 1 and 2, 1930.
Professional-level regular movie operations at the Good Pine Theatre appear to have been conducted from 1927 until its closing in 1936. The exception was in March of 1933 when the Great Depression impacted the lumber business to the point that the theatre was discontinued for many months. Shows were cut back to three- and two-day a week operation upon resumption.
A.O. McIntyre appears to be the sole operating manager of the venue. McIntyre also led the Trout-Good Pine Orchestra that provided much of the live music during the venue’s run. Photophone sound was added in 1931 for talkies. The building and much of the operation has since been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.