No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Joy's Theaters Inc.
Previous Names: A-Mus-U Theater, Amus-U Theater, Movie Theater
No theaters found within 30 miles
The A-Mus-U Theater was opened by 1922 when it had 161-seats. For a couple of years it was renamed Movie Theater. By November 1923 it had been renamed Amus-U Theater. By 1931 was listed with 250-seats. By 1934 and in 1935 it was listed as (Closed). By 1936 it had reopened and had been renamed Joy Theater, still with 250-seats. Very little other information is available about the theater, other than numerous news articles concerning their philanthropy. No advertisements have been found in the St. Landry Parish newspapers, however there are numerous articles about their fund raising efforts.
From the Daily World, Opelousas April 24, 1952
“Brocato Fund is Swelled by Benefit Movie”
The Marilyn Brocata fund was swelled by $94.85 from a benefit motion picture held recently at the Joy Theater is (sic) Melville, and an addition $31 was sent the Melville child from Bogalusa.
The benefit show was given through courtesy of Mrs. Clyde Harvey, manager of the Joy Theater, to aid Marilyn, six-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Irving Brocato, who is dying from brain cancer.
By 1950 the Joy Theater was listed with 350-seats and was still open in 1957.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.