Plaza Playhouse Theater
4916 Carpinteria Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Plaza Playhouse Theater (Official)
Previous Names: Alcazar Theatre, Ritz Theatre, Del Mar Theatre, Plaza Theatre
News About This Theater
- Sep 13, 2010 — Plaza Theatre Closes; Future Unknown
This little theatre in this small town just south of Santa Barbara first opened its doors on April 27, 1928 as the 337-seat Alcazar Theatre. The opening movie was “The Fifty-Fifty Girl” starring Bebe Daniels. It was managed by Oliver ‘Ollie’ Prickett, a Hollywood character actor, who had a recurring role as Geoduck, the neighbor to Ma & Pa Kettle. Around 1936/1937 it was renamed Ritz Theatre. By 1939 it operated as the Del Mar Theatre, a name it kept until at least 1957. It was operating as the Plaza Theatre in 1972 and in the late-1970’s it was operated by the Pussycat Theatres chain.
Closed for several years it fell into a state of disrepair. It was extensively remodeled and renovated, and reopened by Metropolitan Theatre Corp. as of November 2005. They cancelled their lease on the theater due to low revenue and it closed on September 9, 2010.
The Plaza Playhouse Theater has been operating as a non-profit community playhouse since October 2010. They offer movies, live theater, concerts and community events. The Plaza Playhouse Theater is currently managed by an all volunteer staff and board.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.