It’s probably because of the clear spans of former auditoriums and lower costs of redevelopment versus demolition and new construction. Not to mention the time factor to tear down and start from scratch.
1938 photo and below copy added, both credit McHenry County Historical Society.
The Grove Theatre, 310 Route 14, Fox River Grove.
The availability of motion pictures in the early 1900s opened a whole new world of entertainment possibilities. Jim Dvorak opened the first regular movie theater in Fox River Grove in the Prokop garage building in 1921. In 1923, Joseph Kosatka bought the Dvorak business and built the Grove Theatre building.
The Grove Theatre became a mainstay of the Fox River Grove entertainment world for 32 years. The theatre was so popular it was necessary to add balcony in 1927. They even had a cry room so mothers with young infants could enjoy a movie without disturbing others. There was also a smoking room for men.
The 35 cent admission entitled patrons to additional premiums. Ticket holders benefited from many promotional ventures as the theatre offered free china, linens, and towels. Drawings were held for the lucky numbers on ticket stubs. Children were charged 15 cents admission. A bus brought people in from the German Turner Camp in Algonquin one day a week, and there was also a special free show for the Tribune Camp children (Camp Algonquin). Popcorn sold for 10 cents a bag and 25 cents a box. One thing it did not have was soft seats and patrons remember taking pillows to view long movies such as Gone with the Wind.
During the silent film era, a $7,000 Wurlitzer pipe organ was purchased and an accomplished organist, Warren L. Kolby of Crystal Lake, would accompany the pictures. When “talkies” came in, he played the organ before the film started.
The theatre went out of business in 1957 when the building was sold to the Fox River Grove Lions’ Club. In the late 1970s the property was sold and converted into a restaurant. It has seen several changes of ownership as a restaurant, among them Giordano’s, Pasta Garden, and Gerardo’s Pizza and Pastas.
It’s probably because of the clear spans of former auditoriums and lower costs of redevelopment versus demolition and new construction. Not to mention the time factor to tear down and start from scratch.
Plans for a new AMC theater and a Miller’s Ale House via the Tribune.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/norridge/news/ct-nhh-millers-ale-tl-0519-20160513-story.html
1933 photo added, photo credit Gamma-Keyston/Getty Images. Terminal marquee in the background.
Here is the recent article about some of the old Orpheum interior just uncovered.
http://www.chicagodetours.com/theater-architectural-relic-discovered-on-state-street/
A/C unit photo added courtesy of Lynda Porter Smith.
Circa 1985 photo added courtesy of John Brack.
On fire as of 20 minutes ago according to the below link.
http://www.wkyc.com/mb/news/local/cuyahoga-county/firefighters-battle-fire-at-magic-johnson-theater-at-randall-park-mall/175211553
1947 photo added courtesy of the Hemmings Motor News Facebook page.
1947 photo added courtesy of the Hemmings Motor News Facebook page.
1953 photo credit Robert Kradin.
Photo credit Diane Worland.
Photo credit Kenneth Siegel.
Article about the refurbished neon.
http://www.westword.com/arts/the-oriental-theaters-neon-lights-up-the-night-for-the-first-time-in-decades-7853034
1975 photo as The Festival added, © and credit Saul Smaizys.
Probably was a reallocation. Because the photo in the Flickr link in my first comment, is definitely the same building that today uses 1643.
May 1965 photo added.
Photo taken 5/21/71-6/24/71.
1954 photo added. Photographer unknown. Via Al Ponte’s Time Machine – New York Facebook page.
1956 photo as the Holiday added. Photographer unknown. Via Al Ponte’s Time Machine – New York Facebook page.
Design contest.
http://countytheater.org/designcomp/
Now determined to be from 1952.
Thought the film is from 1947.
Early `60’s photo added to Photos Section, credit Uptown Historical Society. Via their below Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/uptownhistoricalsociety/timeline
A deal is in the works for a music and theater venue.
http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20160417/news/304179980/port-angeles-businessman-agrees-to-buy-shuttered-lincoln-theater
This article is about a theater seat dedicated to Cheap Trick’s Rick Nielsen due to his fund raising efforts for the Coronado.
http://www.rrstar.com/article/20160412/SPECIAL/160419966
1938 photo and below copy added, both credit McHenry County Historical Society.
The Grove Theatre, 310 Route 14, Fox River Grove.
The availability of motion pictures in the early 1900s opened a whole new world of entertainment possibilities. Jim Dvorak opened the first regular movie theater in Fox River Grove in the Prokop garage building in 1921. In 1923, Joseph Kosatka bought the Dvorak business and built the Grove Theatre building.
The Grove Theatre became a mainstay of the Fox River Grove entertainment world for 32 years. The theatre was so popular it was necessary to add balcony in 1927. They even had a cry room so mothers with young infants could enjoy a movie without disturbing others. There was also a smoking room for men.
The 35 cent admission entitled patrons to additional premiums. Ticket holders benefited from many promotional ventures as the theatre offered free china, linens, and towels. Drawings were held for the lucky numbers on ticket stubs. Children were charged 15 cents admission. A bus brought people in from the German Turner Camp in Algonquin one day a week, and there was also a special free show for the Tribune Camp children (Camp Algonquin). Popcorn sold for 10 cents a bag and 25 cents a box. One thing it did not have was soft seats and patrons remember taking pillows to view long movies such as Gone with the Wind.
During the silent film era, a $7,000 Wurlitzer pipe organ was purchased and an accomplished organist, Warren L. Kolby of Crystal Lake, would accompany the pictures. When “talkies” came in, he played the organ before the film started.
The theatre went out of business in 1957 when the building was sold to the Fox River Grove Lions’ Club. In the late 1970s the property was sold and converted into a restaurant. It has seen several changes of ownership as a restaurant, among them Giordano’s, Pasta Garden, and Gerardo’s Pizza and Pastas.