It became a triplex in late 1976 when it became the Mark Triplex. It became the Embassy 2, 3, 4 in December 1977 when Guild took it over and the Embassy 1, 2, 3 in 1997 after the Embassy 1 on 46th street closed.
Since Embassy 2, 3, 4 was neither its last name nor its most important phase, it should probably be listed as the Mayfair.
The address must have been 732 or 734 Seventh Avenue based on its proximity to the Avon 7, making an almost certainty it was the Mini Cinema before it became the Frisco.
This Mount Morris was already showing movies in 1911 according to the NYT. It is still listed in the Film Daily Yearbook for 1947 as the Teatro Hispano with an address of 1 West 166th street.
The Patio had a separate boxoffice and entrance. When the theatre was tripled, the main boxoffice sold all tickets but the Patio (screen # 3), still had a separate doorman. Wometco did a nice job twinning their main screens. They were not sloppy rush jobs like General Cinema did in Florida.
The West End appears in a Paramount Week ad in 1921. It was already open in 1903 when the Sunset was being constructed next door.
In the 1934 Film Daily Yearbook the West End is listed as closed with 1672 seats. In the 1937 edition a De Luxe theatre at this address is open with 1672 seats, so it must be a name change that went along with renovation and re-opening. By 1941 it was the West End again.
I found some indications that the Apollo ran movies from 1919-1922, 1934-1953 and 1970-1977, albeit between shows and sometimes matinees only. Does anyone know if they ran any in the fifties and sixties?
The Victoria was still open as a single screen in 1977 and run by Loews. By 1978 it was closed.
In late 1986 it emerges as the Harlem Movie Center 5, run by Cine 42. It closed again in 1990 and re-opened in 1992 as the Harlem Victoria 5 run by Lesser. By 1994 it was closed again.
The National opened in 1972, was twinned in 1982 and closed in 1998.
Cineplex Odeon closed it for tripling in 1987, an aborted attempt when the landlord refused to allow it. The wall was never put up and the landlord hoped Cineplex Odeon would negotiate to leave instead as he no longer wanted a movie theatre there. It re-opened as a remodeled twin.
The intro needs some adjusting.
It became a triplex in late 1976 when it became the Mark Triplex. It became the Embassy 2, 3, 4 in December 1977 when Guild took it over and the Embassy 1, 2, 3 in 1997 after the Embassy 1 on 46th street closed.
Since Embassy 2, 3, 4 was neither its last name nor its most important phase, it should probably be listed as the Mayfair.
A police report of adult establishment in 1995 lists the LAP MOVIE THEATRE at 204 West 47th Street. Has anyone heard of that one?
It looks like it was demolished.
That photo also shows the Frisco outlasting the Avon 7.
Nice shot, Ken.
The address must have been 732 or 734 Seventh Avenue based on its proximity to the Avon 7, making an almost certainty it was the Mini Cinema before it became the Frisco.
This Mount Morris was already showing movies in 1911 according to the NYT. It is still listed in the Film Daily Yearbook for 1947 as the Teatro Hispano with an address of 1 West 166th street.
“So what’s the story?”
It was big hit at the time.
The Patio had a separate boxoffice and entrance. When the theatre was tripled, the main boxoffice sold all tickets but the Patio (screen # 3), still had a separate doorman. Wometco did a nice job twinning their main screens. They were not sloppy rush jobs like General Cinema did in Florida.
The orange awning next door was an Arbys. The China Club across the street just had a stabbing in January.
Stopped showing films in 1976.
The West End appears in a Paramount Week ad in 1921. It was already open in 1903 when the Sunset was being constructed next door.
In the 1934 Film Daily Yearbook the West End is listed as closed with 1672 seats. In the 1937 edition a De Luxe theatre at this address is open with 1672 seats, so it must be a name change that went along with renovation and re-opening. By 1941 it was the West End again.
It stopped showing films in 1975.
A theatre adjoining the West End Theatre was being constructed in 1903 according to the NYT.
This theatre opened on March 15, 1985 and the intro needs to be corrected.
Looking at this again, the De Luxe must be the West End.
The Rio closed in March 1957. The last movies were “Abandon Ship!‘ and "The Strange One”.
In March 1969, the 175th Street stopped showing movies after a run of “2001: A Space Odyssey”.
In March 1964, the Inwood closed.
Still playing the RKO subrun in 1957.
This theatre dates back to 1913.
A motion picture theatre was already at this location in 1917 according to the NYT.
I found some indications that the Apollo ran movies from 1919-1922, 1934-1953 and 1970-1977, albeit between shows and sometimes matinees only. Does anyone know if they ran any in the fifties and sixties?
The Victoria was still open as a single screen in 1977 and run by Loews. By 1978 it was closed.
In late 1986 it emerges as the Harlem Movie Center 5, run by Cine 42. It closed again in 1990 and re-opened in 1992 as the Harlem Victoria 5 run by Lesser. By 1994 it was closed again.
The Rivoli was twinned in December 1981.
On October 26, 1984 it was remodeled and re-opened as the United Artists Twin, no longer using the Rivoli name.
In June 1987 this historic palace closed with “Munchies” and “Creepshow 2”.
The Regent re-opened and was still showing movies in 1964.
The intro needs some adjusting.
The Criterion went from a single screen to five in March 1980. It was never a twin.
In 1981 it added a sixth screen and in 1991 a seventh.
This intro has several wrong dates.
The National opened in 1972, was twinned in 1982 and closed in 1998.
Cineplex Odeon closed it for tripling in 1987, an aborted attempt when the landlord refused to allow it. The wall was never put up and the landlord hoped Cineplex Odeon would negotiate to leave instead as he no longer wanted a movie theatre there. It re-opened as a remodeled twin.