104 N. Citrus Avenue,
3 people favorited this theater
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Covina Cinema, Covina Valley Playhouse
The Covina Theatre was opened December 19, 1921 with Wesley Barry in “Bits of Life”. It was remodeled and reopened October 17, 1935. It was remodeled again in 1947 and again in 1955. A classic 1920’s local movie house with a fabulous neon marquee that was added in 1955, this house was going to be renovated into a performing arts facility. However the building was found to be structurally unsound and unable to retrofit to current earthquake standards, so the city very quickly tore it down in April 2005 without so much as getting an environmental impact report.
The marquee letters were saved and were proposed to put on the new performing arts center that was built on the vacant lot. Unfortunately, they were beyond repair, but replicas were made, and the Corvina Performing Arts Center opened in October 2007.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.