2922 S. Shepherd Drive,
20 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Interstate Theatres Inc. & Texas Consolidated Theaters Inc.
Firms: Pettigrew & Worley
Styles: Art Deco
- Star Cinema Grill River Oaks
- Cineplex Odeon River Oaks P...
- Tower Theatre
- Greenway Theatres
- Brown Auditorium Theater
News About This Theater
- Dec 9, 2012 — Happy 50th, “Lawrence of Arabia”
- May 21, 2010 — Happy 30th, "Empire"
- Mar 2, 2010 — Happy 45th, "The Sound Of Music"
- Aug 21, 2009 — "Alien" 30th Anniversary
- Mar 6, 2007 — Small-town theaters added to Texas' Most Endangered List
- Aug 25, 2006 — Houston interstate theaters
- Jul 27, 2006 — Houston Theaters in Danger
The Alabama Theatre opened on November 2, 1939 with the feature “Man About Town” starring Jack Benny and Dorothy Lamour. After the Alabama Theatre closed in 1983 it became a bookstore. In this use it was meticulously maintained, and resembled a theatre inside, though one with bookshelves and no seats. The screen was still present.
The bookstore closed on September 15, 2009, relocating to another unit in the mall. Preservationists are worried that the beloved Alabama Theatre is at risk of demolition. In 2012, it was operating as a Trader Joe’s.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.