Old Greenbelt Theatre
6 people favorited this theater
The Greenbelt Theatre was opened on September 21, 1938. The opening attraction was “Little Miss Broadway” with Shirley Temple. The original seating capacity was 590. It was designed in an Art Deco style by architects Reginald S. Wadsworth & Douglas O. Ellington.
The Greenbelt Theatre showed movies for almost 40 years until it closed in 1976. Reopening as a community arts center in 1980, the theater struggled again and closed in 1987.
P & G Theatres purchased the Old Greenbelt Theatre and reopened it as a movie theatre in 1990. The Greenbelt Theatre is, again, one of the best movie houses in the capital area with a 40-foot wide screen and a sound system with 4,900 watts of power and 60 speakers.
The theatre was renovated by the City of Greenwood in 2014-2015, with funding provided in part by Partners in Preservation, a joint grant program of American Express and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, The Maryland Historical Trust, and private donors. The renovation includes new digital projection equipment, a new 35mm projector for archival screenings, a restored lobby and ticket booth, restrooms improvements, and an enhanced concession area. The Friends of Greenbelt Theatre, a non-profit organization, was awarded a contract by the City of Greenbelt to operate the 400-seat theatre starting May 1, 2015.
On July 3, 2019, a second screen opened at the storefront next door, at 125 Centerway, as a ‘Pop-up’ temporary, 40-seat microcinema with plush cairs, and will close in Spring 2020 & would then be renovated as a permanent 40-seat screening room and Media Arts Literacy Lab educational space.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater