30 Holloway Circus, Queensway,
2 people favorited this theater
Architects: James A. Roberts
Previous Names: Scala Superama Cinema, Odeon Ringway
The Scala Superama Cinema was built as a replacement for the old 1914 Scala Theatre which had been closed in 1960. Contained in a new office block named Scala House, the cinema was a project of Compton Films Ltd. who distributed sex orientated foreign films and operated sex cinemas and cinema clubs in London. The Scala Superama was designed as a ‘Roadshow’ house, together with the new Superama Cinema in Derby.
The Birmingham Scala Superama Cinema opened on 23rd November 1964 with a double (X) certificate programme: James Aubrey in “Lord of the Flies” & Kenneth Moore in “The Comedy Man”. All seating was in a stadium style on a single stepped floor and it was equipped for 35mm and 70mm presentations. It was taken over by the Rank Organisation from 22nd February 1970 and re-named Odeon Ringway (due to its location close to Smallbrook Ringway).
It was re-named Odeon Queensway in June 1972 and re-furbished in 1983. It was at this time that the Cinecenta twin cinema next door was taken over by the Rank organisation and was incorporated into the Odeon Queensway.
The cinemas closed on 18th September 1988 and have remained empty and unused ever since.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.